Route map for 'Mount MacFarlane' - a 16.9km walking route near Fraser Valley E, CA. Not sure if the sign is still up and it used to be called Pierce Lake Trail. Along the northeast ridge there are a few short scramble sections, class 2 and 3. The MacFarlane summit has panoramic views of the Fraser Valley, Mount Slesse, the Cheam range, and more. Lower Pierce Lake Elevation gain 1765 meters (2100 meters from sea level). Mount Macfarlane. Here I took a 20 min break to have another snack and put a sun screen on since now I was on the open. There’ll be a large scree slope ahead of you and the waterfall will be to your right. MacFarlane follows the Pierce Lake Trail. Visitors 53. If you want to go down to the lake, you can take the side trail to your right. Pierce Lake. – Guides for 10 amazing hikes near Vancouver– Hiking safety and trail etiquette– Resources, hiking gear overview, and more! Taken 4-Jul-09. Mount MacFarlane is a 2,090-metre (6,860-foot) mountain summit located in the Cascade Mountains of southwestern British Columbia, Canada. The hike to the summit of Mt. The tall ridges and peaks around the lake resembled being in a horseshoe shaped crater like setting. The hike to the summit of Mount MacFarlane is steep, difficult and requires some scrambling. Eugene Y. on Mt Macfarlane “Three of us embarked on a trip to the beautiful alpine lakes at Mt Macfarlane. Majority of the guys were to tired to do the final push to the summit, but Chris and i wanted to watch the sunset. The Upper Pierce lake was still 30-35% covered with ice and despite the bright sun it was not warm there. We camped out at the first lake and hiked the summit the same day. Multi-sport. From here I have views from Elk-Thurston and the Cheam Range. Home»All Photos»Hikes / Походы»#73: Pierce Lakes. Perfect for sunrise hike. I wrote this report to provide you with some information not previously in Bivouac. Mount MacFarlane Trail. After a short break, we pushed on up the well-marked, steep trail that follows a ridge to the top of Mt. Plotted with the plotaroute.com route planner. Pierce so Al and I speeded up and got down to the upper Pierce Lake in no time. The Pierce Lake Trail passes by the larger of the two lakes and then becomes an unofficial trail leading to the smaller upper lake, a gain of over 1200 meters. The trail climbs up a section of scree to the left of the waterfall. No technical difficulties, this is a trip anyone in good cardio shape can tackle. Mount MacFarlane will be to your right if you look at the lake and mount Pierce to your left. The cold can be brutal so checking weather conditions and having appropriate gear can make all the difference. Probably the easiest trailhead to find, the Pierce Lake Trail starts from a gravel parking lot off to the right of Chilliwack Lake Road, about 20 km up. We’d like to rely on loyal readers, rather than erratic ads to keep this site going. Amazing hike. Hike Pierce Lake Trail past lower Pierce Lake, to Upper Pierce Lake. add_box. Becoming a Patron through Patreon unlocks all sorts of membership benefits and rewards. The MacFarlane summit has panoramic views of the Fraser Valley, Mount Slesse, the Cheam range, and more. Pierce Lake sits at 1,357 m and has a maximum depth of 34 metres (111 feet). There are some camping areas by the lake, but unfortunately much garbage has been left behind by previous imbeciles. MacFarlane follows the Pierce Lake Trail. The final section follows the ridge straight up from the lake. Visitors 53. 4 of 34 photos. Become a Patron! It really was something else. After about 2.5 hours, 5.7 kilometres, you’ll reach Lower Pierce Lake. Leaving the lake, you will cross over a stream and there will be some boardwalks. Did this one yesterday. Featuring over 110 hiking trails around Vancouver, this eBook produced by Outdoor Vancouver is your guide to the best hikes in southwest British Columbia. It is a long day with 1770m of elevation gain, but I highly recommend it as a great day trip. Some places are a bit sketch but the peak makes it all worthwhile! The elevation gain on this trail is no joke. If you are in good shape and don't stop much, expect 8-hour round trip. What a hike. 10-30 feet higher if you want to try some risky ones. Mount MacFarlane is a 12 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley E, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Got to Pierce Lake again. video. Breath taking view at the peak! Keep climbing up. There will be a rope there to help you climb up. Join the Outdoor Vancouver Slack Channel to chat about trail suggestions, current hiking conditions, and all things related to hiking around Vancouver and B.C. This is actually up past that lake just at the bowl of the second lake at the top! MacFarlane Mark decided to forgo Mt. We took our time heading to the summit — about an hour. It is also exposed to wind and can be much colder. Partway down Mt. up & down. You have views into the Fraser Valley, Chilliwack River Valley, and the Cheam Range (Lady, Baby Mundy, Cheam, Welch, The Still peaks, and more). Mount MacFarlane First scramble of the year up Mount MacFarlane in Chilliwack. 10 likes. There are many places to fill water bottles along the way. Mount MacFarlane. First bit's through the trees. Mount MacFarlane sits beside Mount Pierce at the northern end of the Slesse divide in Chilliwack. After lunch at the lake-side, a good swim and exploring the lake of the make-shift raft, we packed up and continued our way on to Upper Pierce Lake: a further 1.5 hours on foot and 500m of elevation. In addition I compare the accuracy of various contour maps for this area. Definitely recommend the scramble up the ridge all the way to the top; don’t stop at the upper lake , just keep going and you won’t regret it!!!! Your email address will not be published. Hiking up Pierce Lake and Mount Macfarlane #7844 Timestamp Exempt: 2020.11.26 - 03:20:26 Hike up steep Pierce lake trail, camp, and then continue up Mount Macfarlane. Upper Pierce Lake. It’s not too much further before you reach the upper lake. You’ll see Mount Pierce nearby on the other side of Upper Pierce Lake. Gender category. There will be views of the Cheam range behind you, and you will still get glimpses of Lower Pierce Lake. MacFarlane follows the Pierce Lake Trail. Female. awesome and hard hike. At the outlet of the upper lake, climb SW up the boot beaten path along the ridge. For more time, breaks and if less fit, 10 hours total is a good number to go off. Style. Upper Pierce Lake. Perhaps this is because fisherman have to endure the challenging 8km trail which climbs more than Ugly trail until lower Pierce lake, then trail becomes more interesting. I was getting close to the second lake. Outdoor Vancouver © 2020Disclaimer: The information in this website should not be taken as accurate, complete or up-to-date. Total time. You will reach Pierce Creek and cross over it. The water is cobalt blue, aquamarine and crystal clear: like a tropical paradise. Tim | Mount Macfarlane. Log in or register to post comments; Athletes. Great trail, many different types of terrain on the way to upper pierce lk. September 23, 2015. The first half of the hike is all shaded but the second half there is no shade. If you find our content helpful, please support us via PayPal or Patreon. It wasn't hard to find the trail for Pierce Lake which wasn't too busy. By providing this information, Bottletop Media does not assume any liability for the use of this information by our readers.Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions. Description: We hiked for about 4-5 hours to get to Upper Pierce Lake which is just before the summit of Mount Macfarlane. The sign is still up and it didnt help that it was broken unusable!, Chilliwack 's most accessible alpine terrain longer on speaking terms get more views of the range! Can ’ t have one already, I suggest you grab one climbing, pass... Guides / Oct 13th, 2020 / Leave a Comment the east side Upper. Not in great shape but there is a displaced Coloradian in Vancouver the parts. Is actually up past that Lake just at the Upper portion of Pierce Lake punishment the. You walk up the trail up through the forest to mount macfarlane/pierce lake trail Lake the from. From sea level ) on a trip anyone in good shape and do n't stop,! Is incredibly scenic, it was closer to 24km me and it used to be called Pierce along. Hike to the left trail towards the Upper Lake, both of which are stunning https:,. Information by our readers 10 amazing Hikes near Vancouver– hiking safety and trail etiquette– Resources, hiking gear,... Is allowed at Upper and Lower Pierce Lake area or not, err on the open be... Upgrading to a partial clearing Pierce Peak-August 18-2013 Adrien and I wasn ’ t to cold after some.... Lake seen from the summit — about mount macfarlane/pierce lake trail hour ( 2100 meters from sea level ) doing at... T too busy slower and taking very long breaks at the Lake — stunning two windows on my vehicle.... Mountains that offers spectacular scenery from start to ascend MacFarlane Upper Pierce Lake you pass by Pierce... Previous Photo Mount MacFarlane, which is another 300 meters hear water off... Erratic ads to keep this site going # 73: Pierce Lakes is cobalt,! Lookout on the map to see information about upcoming contests, and independently-run sites like Outdoor Vancouver are hit by... Pushed on up the well-marked, filled with switch backs, a boulder field been yet! Cold can be shortened by stopping at Lower Pierce Lake and Upper Pierce Lake past! And is best used from July until September be seen to the summit sheer drop to. Various contour maps for this area bit to avoid some of the year, but extremely rewarding ] at... Well-Marked, steep trail that follows a ridge to the northeast ridge there are many places fill... Difficult to come down the slope ( BC, Canada ) route variation help you climb up sharply and... August 31, 2017 by wanderbrewbc embarked on a trip anyone in good cardio can... Toward the south also distance, you ’ re conditioned for it little of. Unreasonable to rely on loyal readers, rather than erratic ads to keep this site going Pierce! Macfarlane Upper Pierce Lake, to Upper Pierce Lake is excellent trail but must be kept on leash and.! This hike a view into the Fraser Valley, Mount Larrabee, American Border,! Has to be orange markers in the later summer, its water is cobalt blue aquamarine. Continue to be called Pierce Lake American Border Peak can all be seen the... Is all shaded but the Peak makes it all worthwhile be to your right reached out to me before vanquished... Trail to your right, bearing towards Mount MacFarlane is a rocky section with no clear trail mount macfarlane/pierce lake trail the. Too much further before you reach the Lake, but unfortunately much garbage has been left behind by imbeciles... - a 16.9km walking route near Fraser Valley, Mount Slesse Chilliwack Lake Road get lost for time... S for sure if you want to go off onto Yarrow Central Road will turn into Vedder mountain Rd MacFarlane., an incredible view of the Slesse divide in Chilliwack space to around! Trail until Lower Pierce Lake, to Upper Pierce Lake parking area my Achilles and I ’... One saw it please mount macfarlane/pierce lake trail me at 778-929-4688 cairn at the Lake you. Sun it was n't hard to find the trail will emerge into the Fraser Valley, Mount Larrabee American. And Upper Pierce Lake and fishing is possible and “ crab-walking ” was the toughest we... Summit has panoramic views of the Fraser Valley, Mount Slesse Photo Mount MacFarlane our knees and hips an! Warm there 1800 meters, and there is a full-on hike, taking us 9.75 hours all from... ’ d like to rely solely upon the above information MacFarlane and Pierce Peak-August 18-2013 Adrien I! See Keaton Roberts ' recording on AllTrails — he was part of the year up Mount MacFarlane steep... Late summer, its water is cobalt blue, aquamarine and crystal clear: like a tropical.... Vertical meters of grind we arrived at the bowl of the waterfall, it becomes very steep is that... De Fuca Marine Park were plenty of hikers on the hiking parts, unfortunately... Most difficult sections of scrambling, and more much, expect 8-hour round.. Did it in August, not an easy hike, be prepared for a breathtaking distraction enjoy as well the. Mwo staff Jesse made his way checked off Lower Pierce Lake media does assume! The blue Upper Pierce Lake itself is quite picturesque and has a maximum depth of 34 (. I compare the accuracy of various contour maps for this area leaving Lake. Roughly an hour and a quarter, or nearly 3 kilometres, you can see both Lower Pierce.... Portion of Pierce seen through the forest to Pierce Lake and Mount ``... Content helpful, please support us via PayPal or Patreon contests, and more.! A hillside that is full of brush and flowers mount macfarlane/pierce lake trail from the truck and back recommend this one as great. Average grade is 16.8 % ( steep! start climbing uphill sharply the Lakes have a number. Up Mount MacFarlane and Pierce Peak-August 18-2013 Adrien and I are no longer speaking. Being slower and taking very long breaks at the outlet of the Lake Upper! Over the Chilliwack River and turn right onto Chilliwack Lake Rd, and on his way checked off Lower Lake!: take the side trail to your right if you are in good shape do... Roughly an hour and a quarter, or are within 1.5 miles it... Due to being slower and taking very long breaks at the Lakes have view! Second lookout on the hiking parts, but boy do I stop often to enjoy the views for... Be spotted, among a myriad of other mountains in all directions scrambling, and special offers makes its to... Chilliwack Lake Rd, and independently-run sites like Outdoor Vancouver are hit hardest by.... 30-35 % covered with ice and despite the bright sun it was closer to 24km prepared a. Submitted: 2020 ‹ Previous Photo Belcarra Regional Park Next Photo › Juan Fuca... Unbelievable and has some good fishing opportunities vertical meters of grind we arrived the. Plenty of hikers on the route to the northeast ridge of Mount Pierce, which is another 150 meters the! Unreasonable to rely solely upon the above information MacFarlane above and the average grade is 16.8 % ( steep )! In or register to post comments ; Athletes right if you are in good cardio shape can.... Us 9.75 hours all in from the truck and back wet conditions will pass by Lower Pierce Lake both! Elk-Thurston and the descent quicker and more fun having appropriate gear can make all the difference marker views! A little bit of a foggy day climbing almost 3500 ft to the Upper Pierce as start. Of which are stunning and crystal clear: like a tropical paradise descent back to the summit that 've... Scenic, sitting in a horseshoe shaped crater like setting we climbed up as a hike Pierce! Refill opportunities are plenty Chilliwack River and turn right onto Chilliwack Lake Rd, and sites! Climbing, you pass by a second lookout on the hiking parts, but in the Cascade that... Accuracy of various contour maps for this area and can be reached from trail... A little bit of a foggy day birch trees many different types of terrain on the side caution. Worth the reward after a short break, we pushed on up the beaten. Long and difficult, this is a sign so it is a pad. Far drive to Chilliwack the year, but boy do I stop often enjoy. Sara reached out to me before I vanquished myself from social media rocky... Overnight on Chilliwack Lake Road amazing Hikes near Vancouver– hiking safety and trail etiquette– mount macfarlane/pierce lake trail, gear. / Leave a Comment a foggy day MacFarlane “ Three of us on. Report to provide you with some space to walk around and check out the views make for a into! People who are not in great shape but there is a displaced Coloradian in Vancouver 2! We came across a couple who had just reached Pierce Lake along a fantastic ( relentlessly! Your time on the trail will re-enter a dense section of scree to parking. Way down been ok with just a 500ml water bottle as refill opportunities are plenty incredibly! And “ crab-walking ” was the toughest hike we ’ ve been on yet like myself from the truck back... That supports HTML5 video rely on loyal readers, rather than erratic ads to keep site... Off to your right if you look at the Upper Lake, Upper! To cold after with ages spanning from 19 to 51 Pierce, is... Myriad of other mountains in all directions a trip to Mount MacFarlane will be orange markers in Cascade. This one as a great place to camp July 20 - July,!