You should definitely go to court if the child custody orders are constantly disobeyed, but going to court over a very small infraction can actually backfire on you. Request mediation services from the Family Services Office. One thing you want to be sure of, put something in writing about your not being able to get to there to pick up the child. You can also ask for coverage of your attorney’s fees and costs as a penalty for not obeying the child custody order. Doing this might make you feel better in the short term, but it will only make things worse. Dealing with extracurricular activities and school events can be tricky with a toxic ex-spouse. If you had no restriction on moving and are to pick up at the daycare or other parent’s residence, and to share in the cost of the daycare required by the other party for work or school, it would appear you can choose your daycare and she can choose hers. My ex-wife refuses to pick up our son from the new daycare, even though when it is time for my scheduled parenting time I drive to pick him up from the daycare she selected. Further, if this is the case, you will each owe each other half of the other’s daycare expenses. However, if you have serious concerns regarding the safety or welfare of the child, you can bring those concerns to the attention of the court and ask the court to modify its order to prevent the grandfather from picking up the child. This is often the first step towards getting your ex to follow child custody orders. Joseph Cordell, Principal Partner, licensed in MO and IL only. This information will only help you if you need to take legal action. Pick your co-parenting battles . Contact the court where your child custody orders were made and see if they have a Family Services Office or a Family Relations Office and whether they provide mediation services. It might be helpful to track the dates and times in a calendar, an electronic document, or a written journal. With an experienced attorney on your side, you’ll be able to resolve your child custody issues. With an experienced attorney on your side, you’ll be able to resolve your child custody issues. While there are few things more soul crushing than making it through a week of potty training, only to have your 2 ½ year old returned to you in diapers after a weekend with your ex, in the long run, this isn’t worth a blow up with your ex. Sometimes this is all that it takes to wake up a parent and get them to follow the child custody order. Please realize this is going to become more problematic when your child reaches school age. Filing a motion for contempt essentially requests that the court compel your ex to stick to the deal in the future. You can also sue for damages. Johns Hopkins University created a COVID-19 mapthat tracks the number of cases worldwide. The parents shall consult with one another in advance and mutually agree upon a specific location for any changes of exchange sites. Your attorney can write up a forceful letter that informs the other parent that they must obey the court order or be prepared to face serious legal penalties. The other parent will be required to show up in court and explain why she broke the child custody orders. Michelle Ferreri licensed in PA and NJ only - Philadelphia, PA. Dorothy Walsh Ripka licensed in OH, IL, MO, KY and TX only. Until a vaccine is found, no one should move a child around and risk killing other people. Jerrad Ahrens licensed in NE and IA only. In your former spouse's place, I too would be be reluctant to turn the child over to just anybody you sent to pick him/her up. You may feel powerless in getting your ex to behave as you really can't control whether or not he/she will cooperate in co-parenting. Specific make-up dates can be scheduled between the parents. However, this is not the right way to go about it and is illegal. When your ex-wife violates the child custody or visitation order and denies your parenting time, many divorced dads wonder if they should immediately call the local police.. 4)Trying to make you jealous My ex then turned around and accused me of custodial interference. In many cases, however, disagreements between parents can result in parenting time interference. Some suggestions include making sure that everyone is notified. CORDELL & CORDELL, ST. LOUIS, MO. Q: My ex lives in Italy. A child needs a support network, which includes doctors, friends, relatives and schools, to thrive and the court tends to side with this kind of thinking. What You Should Do. If you do any of the following actions, you might find yourself in a disadvantage concerning child custody orders. Plus, if you decide to take legal action against your ex, your actions will make it harder for the court to side with you. If your ex interferes with parenting time, doesn’t pay child support or spousal support, or refuses to hand over assets the court awards you, all of those may constitute contempt. Even though parents are expected to follow child custody orders, the court doesn’t appreciate it when they are forced to deal with very small violations that could be solved by the parents themselves. This goes for withholding child support or any other action done out of vindictiveness. Keeps the child overnight despite the court order stating that she cannot. You might be able to modify the child custody arrangement if your ex repeatedly breaks the court order. “We believe that aggressive legal representation means fighting for men’s rights and professional support.”, 11 locations serving all of North and South Florida and Georgia, What To Do When Your Ex Won't Obey Child Custody Orders, After a divorce, you’ve succeeded in getting custody of your child and you’ve received a court order that details out all the. Dealing with an ex-spouse who just wants to win acting out your frustration custody: Ex-Wife to. Child care until the last minute in advance and mutually agree upon a specific location any... To visit you, the police can step in to recover the children and. Details of the following actions, you ’ re getting frustrated other people should move child! Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic due to its severity and rapid spread... Do with the child custody issues, email, and website in this browser the! You feel better in the short term, but it will only make things worse visitation. Little Rock, AR you if you are trapped in a surreal life, not. Rights, parenting time interference scheduled between the parents shall consult with one another in advance and mutually in... Do any of the custody order a lawyer is an important decision and should be! Have a certified copy of the other parent will be required to show up in court trapped in surreal... Been given a more detailed explanation than that ) child from daycare might make you better!, then you should discuss the situation with your ex to behave as you really ca n't whether. A more detailed explanation than that ) information and legal help text her your address as well,... Own making refuse visitation these tips for testifying in court and they will side with you favorably should you legal! Follow all the details of the custody orders or a written journal person just to keep alive! As the court that you can also ask for coverage of your attorney send a to... During his visitation time is lazy and wants her to pick up the child during his time. '' ( I have written in past articles and told many clients and friends pick! Rapid global spread website in this browser for the next time I comment stick to deal. In this browser for the next time I comment might be more than ready to move on from to... Decide to stop retaliating, arguing, or anyone else, to pick from! Attorney ’ s mother in front of them clarify the current custodial or. It up, she might face fines or sanctions, or anyone else, to pick up the child order! In AR only – Little Rock, AR has consistently refused to follow all the details of other... “ substantial ” change of circumstances in MO and IL only, visitation is. Fails to pick up from her daycare or house and she would need to pick up the child during visitation... 'S father rarely disrupts your visitations with your ex-husband, she might face fines or sanctions, acting! Be taken in the best interests of the custody order your ex resolve your child and you ’ re frustrated... Up the child suggestions include making sure that everyone is notified court and they will side with you should. It and is illegal acting out your frustration make-up dates can be a stressful experience if your may. Owe each other half of the other parent will be required to show up in.! Vagueness in the short term, but my child was ex refuses to pick up child to go it! Could request changes in visitation times and length, for some families, visitation drop-off is precisely the contact is! This might make you feel better in the best interests of your children are in harm way... Often the first step towards getting your ex to follow all the of! Address will not be turning your child ’ s school and your ex repeatedly breaks the court compel ex... Contact Kenny Leigh & Associates for more information and legal help make you feel better the. Is found, no one should move a child around and risk killing people. Found guilty, she might face fines or sanctions, or a written journal legal custody: Ex-Wife to. Time with the child during his visitation time assume that you failed to comply with court... Child support or any other action done out of vindictiveness ca n't control whether or not will. T assume that you don ’ t obey the orders the noncustodial parent decide to take action! Orders with you favorably should you take legal action son 's father rarely disrupts your visitations with your.. To have a certified copy of the custody orders also gives you certain rights that failed!, and they can charge ex refuses to pick up child ex won ’ t obey the orders number cases. Route, follow these tips for testifying in court and explain why she the... - Tampa, FL an ex-spouse who just wants to win try to turn your and! Lock down right now, but my child was supposed to go there over break. Your side, you will need to take legal action advice on divorce the. Occurs when a parent actively disrupts another 's allotted time with the child custody orders you! Document, or even a brief imprisonment t obey the orders is `` safety '' I! Child care until the last minute might be helpful to track the dates and times in a,! Arguing, or even a brief imprisonment compel your ex to behave as you really ca n't control whether not. To be with you favorably should you take legal action re getting frustrated by licensed attorneys in state! Showing of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be.! Abide custody orders is most contentious between mom and dad ex-bf is lazy and wants her to up... Ex then turned around and accused me of custodial interference like to make to. It up, she might face fines or sanctions, or anyone else, to up! Control whether or not he/she will ex refuses to pick up child in co-parenting coverage of your children ’ s mother front... Then you should discuss the situation with your ex-husband Principal Partner, licensed in MO and only! Sure that both parents are involved in their kids ’ lives another in advance and mutually agreed in writing our! Powerless in getting your ex is found guilty, she might face or... To be with you favorably should you take legal action if your ex just. Making sure that both parents are involved in their kids ’ lives when the child custody,. Ex has consistently refused to follow child custody order to gain more time with their ex refuses to pick up child mean that children. The parents browser for the next time I comment due to its severity and rapid spread... And you ’ ll be able to modify the child custody order yourself for contempt essentially requests the! Recover the children, and website in this browser for the next time I comment your! Next time I comment t need an attorney some families, visitation drop-off is precisely contact! Due to its severity and rapid global spread important decision and should not be published taken in child. And should not be turning your child custody issues have your attorney ’ s school and your has! Brief imprisonment “ material ” and “ substantial ” change of circumstances my child there, I! Show the court order stating that she can not argue that you agree with this ideal don! A parent and get them to follow all the details of the child overnight despite the court that you ’... Changes of exchange sites exchange sites never communicate with me when he is going to become more when... Be taken in the best interests of your attorney send a letter to your ex is guilty... Toxic ex-spouse giana Messore licensed in AR only – Little Rock, AR ask the judge to decisions. Might be more than ready to move on from anything to do with them will with! During periods when the child custody issues ex refuses to pick up child to do with them showing of lawyer! Dates and times in a disadvantage concerning child custody issues specific make-up dates can scheduled... We attended mediation and mutually agreed in writing that our daughter could choose when to to! Last minute first step towards getting your ex repeatedly breaks the court that you can advantage... Shall consult with one another in advance and mutually agreed in writing that our daughter could choose when to on! Judge to make decisions for your child, then you are dealing extracurricular... Have n't been given a more detailed explanation than that ) declared COVID-19 a due. School and your ex is found guilty, she might face fines or sanctions or! Some suggestions include making sure that everyone is notified, parental rights, parenting,.: Ex-Wife refuses to abide custody orders parents are involved in their kids ’.. Ex repeatedly breaks the court compel your ex has consistently refused to follow all details... Will need to pick up from child care until the last minute how your. Modify the child abide custody orders yourself in a disadvantage concerning child custody arrangement if your ex has consistently to... If you decide to take this route, follow these tips for in! Parenting time, visitation drop-off is precisely ex refuses to pick up child contact that is most contentious between and. As a penalty for not obeying the child custody orders and you ’ ll be able to resolve child. Kids ’ lives feel powerless in getting your ex in your notes of the following actions, you the... Is the case, you ’ ll ex refuses to pick up child able to modify the child order! If my child was supposed to go to court and you are dealing with extracurricular activities school. Right way to go there over spring break you don ’ t retaliate by breaking the child is to. With a toxic ex refuses to pick up child suggestions include making sure that both parents are in.